Are you having problems with your graphics driver on Windows 10? Does your computer keep crashing or freezing? If so, then you need to update your graphics driver and other drivers.
Updating your graphics driver is one of the most important things you can do to improve your gaming experience and keep your computer running smoothly. It also improves the video quality and other graphic demands of the system.
In this guide, we will show you how to update your graphics driver on Windows 10. We will also provide tips for troubleshooting any problems that you may encounter while updating your graphics driver. So, whether you are a new or experienced PC gamer, read on for all the information you need to know about updating your graphics driver.
Why is it important to update Graphics Drivers?
Graphics Drivers are small pieces of software that allow your computer to communicate with your graphics card. They should be constantly updated to improve performance, fix bugs, and add new features. Here are the reasons why you need to regularly update the Graphic card drivers:
- To get the best performance from your games: New drivers often improve game performance, so it’s worth updating them to get the most out of your games.
- Fix bugs and improve stability: If you’re experiencing crashes or freezes, then updating your driver may help resolve those issues.
- To add new features: New drivers sometimes add new features, such as support for new games or VR headsets.
- To improve video quality: If you’re having problems with videos looking blurry or jittery, then updating your driver can often fix those issues.
When should you update your Graphics Drivers?
You should update your graphics driver when there is a new driver release from the manufacturer. This is usually once a month, but it can be more or less frequently. You can update your drivers manually by going to the manufacturer’s website and downloading the latest driver for your graphics card.
Here are the top scenarios when you should update your Graphics drivers:
- When facing issues while gaming or playing videos: If you are experiencing problems with your PC while playing games or running some graphics, it is a good idea to check for driver updates.
- After adding a new Graphics Card: Similarly, if you have installed a new graphic card, you should check for driver updates. This way, you can be sure that everything will work smoothly.
- When upgrading your operating system: Whenever you upgrade to a new version of Windows, you should also update your drivers. This is especially important if you are planning to switch from an older version (like Windows XP) to a newer one (like Windows 10 or 11)
- When you purchase a new device: Finally if you have just bought a new device, it is a good idea to check for driver updates. This way, you can be sure that you are using the most recent drivers.
How to Update Graphics Driver in Windows 10?
Now let us look at the different ways to update the Graphics Driver in Windows 10
Update Graphics Drivers in Windows 10 through Device Manager
The most popular technique for Windows users to keep their drivers up to date is through the Device Manager. The Control Panel’s built-in component, Device Manager, allows you to update, install, and uninstall device drivers.
- Right-click on the Start button and select Device Manager from the drop-down menu.
- The Device Manager window will pop up, displaying all of the drivers that have been installed.
- From the Device Manager, search for the Display adapters and expand it.
- Right-click on the graphic component you wish to update and select Update Driver from the list.
- Select the Search automatically for drivers option on the next window if you don’t have the most recent drivers installer on your PC.
- If you want to manually update the drivers, go to the manufacturer’s website and obtain the most recent version. Save the downloaded drivers on your system hard disk.
- Select Browse my computer for drivers to update the driver manually.
- Restart the system to make the changes effective.
Using Windows Update
Starting with Windows 10, Microsoft began to release driver updates through Windows updates. As a result, you must update Windows 10 in order to keep up with the most recent drivers.
To update Windows 10 to the latest version, perform the following procedures in this order:
- Open Windows 10 settings.
- Click on the Update & Security option.
- On the left pane, select the Windows Update tab and then click Check for updates on the right.
- Click on Install now after the latest updates have finished downloading.
- Finally, restart the device.
Update Windows 10 Graphics Drivers through Windows Optional Updates
Under Windows Optional Updates, you could find some driver updates. Follow these steps to install drivers through Optional Updaters:
- Go to Settings -> Windows Update.
- Under Windows Update, click on View all optional updates.
- Expand the Driver updates option, and then select the driver you wish to install. After that, click Download and install.
- Reboot the system after installation.
Update Graphic Drivers using Third-Party Programs
If you want a hassle-free experience of updating drivers, then you can use third-party programs. These programs will scan your system for outdated or missing drivers and then update them with just a few clicks.
Here are a few best driver updater programs:
Driver Booster is the best updater software on our list. It is designed to automatically detect the missing or outdated drivers from the Windows system. With 3 Million+ drivers on its database, you are assured to find the rarest driver and fix any compatibility issue.
Driver Booster 7 PRO is safe and designed to detect outdated, missing, and faulty drivers and update them all in a single click.
Once you get the PRO version using the Driver Booster key, it unlocks the following features:
- Fast Scanning and downloading: Within a few seconds, it can scan the entire PC for the missing, broken, or outdated drivers and start downloading/installing them.
- One-Click Update: Can update all the drivers in a single click.
- Enhance the Performance: It can highly magnify the performance of the system, by finding out the broken drivers and repairing them.
- Backup & Restore: It lets you back up all the system drivers and restore them after you format the PC.
Avast Driver Updater
Avast is popularly known for its security programs. However, it also provides many PC optimization tools; one of those is Avast Driver Updater.
Avast Driver Updater scans your PC for outdated drivers and replaces them with the latest version available in its database. It servers around whooping 5 million drivers. That means there is a good chance it has all the essential drivers for your PC. Moreover, it creates a backup of the existing drivers in case things go south. It comes with a trial period of 15 days on the first installation.
How to Update Graphics Drivers via Nvidia GeForce Experience or AMD Radeon Software?
Nvidia has a GeForce Experience software tool for its GTX and RTX graphics cards. AMD offers its own Radeon Software, which performs similarly by delivering driver updates, game optimization settings, and other features. You may use these programs to see whether new drivers are available and install them if necessary.
Update Nvidia Graphics Drivers via GeForce Experience
- On a PC, install and open the Nvidia GeForce Experience program. It may already be installed on more recent systems.
- Under the GeForce Experience window, switch to the Drivers page. It will scan for any available updates and display them in the window.
- To conduct a manual scan, choose the Check for Update button in the upper right corner. If there are any updates to be installed, download and install them.
- To remove and reinstall the existing driver, click the More button (three dots) and then Reinstall Driver.
Update AMD Graphics Drivers via Radeon Software
- Open the AMD Radeon Software.
- Select the Settings option in the Radeon Software window.
- Under the Software & Driver heading, click Check for Updates. It will check for pending updates and prompt you to install any that are available.
It is important to keep your graphics drivers up-to-date in order to get the most out of your games and videos. In this article, we have looked at three different ways to update your graphics driver in Windows 10. By following the steps in this article, you can ensure that your graphics drivers are always up to date and working properly.
A graphics driver is a piece of software that allows your computer to communicate with your graphics card. This communication is necessary in order for your computer to be able to display the images from your graphics card on your monitor.
It is generally a good idea to update your graphics drivers on a regular basis. However, you should only update your drivers if you are experiencing problems with your computer or if you have installed a new graphics card.
If you are experiencing problems with your computer’s graphics, such as artifacts or screen flickering or the game on your PC is not working correctly, it is possible that the graphic drivers are outdated.