Our Video Editing guide will help you to understand what video editing is and provide you resources on getting the best video editing software to accomplish your editing needs.
What is Video Editing?
In the last decade, video content has become one of the most engaging ones among alls. This leads businesses and influencers to used videos as their primary content. However, creating an interesting video is a challenging task. Shooting a video for promotion or social media post is just a half job done. To make it presentable and interactive, you need to add more elements to it. That’s where Video Editing comes into action.
Video Editing is the process of structuring the video to make it presentable and ready to publish by adding extra enhancements such as filters, effects, transitions, sound effects, and many more. Combining multiple videos or shots to create an altogether different output also comes under video editing. It is generally a part of the post-production process, i.e., after shooting the video. An example of basic video editing is adding background music to your YouTube video. On the other hand, clipping the filmed videos, adding the VFX and other transitions to create a movie comes in an advanced level of video editing.
Usually, Video Editing is done keeping the following goals in mind:
- Make a meaningful video after clipping multiple short videos
- Adding the effects, graphics, transitions to make it presentable and engaging.
- Adding the background sound to give the video more clarity and make it more interactive.
- Remove the unwanted footage.
- Reconfigure the pace of the video as per the theme.
How to start Video Editing?
To start video editing, first, you need to clearly know the end goal for which you require editing a video. Based on the purposes, different strategies are used for conducting video editing. However, If you are a beginner, you can start video editing by following these tips:
- Get robust video editing software based on your requirements and budget. Since you are a beginner, look for beginner-friendly video editing applications.
- Use a properly configured computer for editing purposes. If you are looking for performing video editing on a large scale and long videos, your computer must be fast enough to handle long processes. In addition to that, most robust video editing applications demand high system requirements for proper working.
- Prepare yourself by watching the video editing tutorials on platforms like Youtube or others. Many platforms like Udemy provides professional courses specifically for video editing.
- Don’t perform editing directly on your intended video. Get your hands on the editing tool by doing and learning editing on sample videos unrelated to your project.
- Prepare multiple copies of a single video. Perform video editing in various styles and prepare different outputs. Get feedback for the best-edited one among those.
- Keep practicing the video editing to gain perfection. Even if you don’t have any projects in hand, keep practicing the editing on sample videos. Challenge yourself by performing complex editing features.
What video editing software should I use?
Once you are ready to finally begin your video editing journey, the first and essential step is to select the perfect video editing software as per your need. Many beginners get confused on this step since they are new to this field, and it is challenging to compare applications at the beginner level. However, there are certain factors that would help you in deciding the video editing software of your preference. Have a look:
- The most crucial aspect is the learning curve of the video editor. You must always go for an editing application that is easy to learn and get used to if you are a beginner. An application with a steep learning curve can be overwhelming and might take away all your interest from the video editing profession. The best video editing software is one which is equally good for beginners and profrssionals.
- The video editor must support every popular video format. Video format technology is constantly evolving, especially in the era of drone cameras, 3D cameras, 360-degree cameras, and more. After buying a video editing software, the last thing you want is that it does not support the format of the video you shot from your camera. So, always check this factor while getting video editing software.
- Video Editing applications should have the basics to advanced editing tools. This will help you to get perfection and take your videos to the next level.
- No video is complete without sound and other effects. So, video editing software should have tools and features to add background music, filters, transition effects, and more.
- Another important factor while choosing a video editing software is your budget. You will find free video editing applications too, but they are good for nothing if you are into a serious video editing business. However, that does not mean that expensive editing applications are always the best ones. While getting a video editing application, go for the ones that serve all your basic needs plus that fit your budget.
- Quality Customer Support is another essential aspect. If you are a beginner, you might require assistance in using the video editing software. In that case, customer support must be skilled. Also, software tends to get technical issues, so quality support would help customers to solve their problems quickly.
What video editing software do YouTubers use?
If you are looking for a video editing application to edit videos for your YouTube channel, here are the top applications that beginners and professionals use.
Top Video Editing Applications for Beginners
Movavi Video Editor Plus
There is no better video editing application for beginners than Movavi Video Editor. It comes with an unmatchable user interface that doesn’t confuse users, making it perfect for a starter. It has pretty simple editing tools like drag & drops, autocomplete, and more. You get various excellent options for crafting your videos, like adding transitions, filters, background music, and much more. The AI technology helps you to autocomplete editing tasks, and it is pretty efficient. You will also get a built-in assistant to provide you an introduction to the software.
If your video editing demand is not heavy and you require video editing software just for basic needs, OpenShot is one of the best applications for you. It is a minimalistic and straightforward application with limited but robust features and tools. You will get all the tools you require to make your video perfect for posting on social media or YouTube channels. The best part is, since it is an open-source program, it is 100% free to use.
For beginning the video editing for your YouTube channel, Lightworks is one of the best applications you can get. Though it is not absolutely free and comes with a paid version, the free version is robust enough to meet your all basic needs. On top of that, the application is pretty light-weighted that does not deteriorate your system performance. The application supports a wide range of video formats, high-quality trim functions, speed optimization, and more. It also includes the real-time project sharing option, great for collaborative works. For beginners, there is a library of video editing tutorials.
Best Professional Video Editing Software
Adobe Premiere Pro CC
When you think of photo or video editing tools, the first thing that comes to mind is Adobe. It is one of the giants in the technical software field and is pretty reputed, especially for photo and video editing applications. Adobe Premiere Pro CC is the premium dedicated video editing software from Adobe that is designed for professionals. It comes with a streamlined interface that is highly customizable. If you are a professional video editor, the software will be easy to use even if you don’t have prior experience of using any Adobe applications. Additionally, Adobe regularly provides updates to it to add new features and fix bugs.
Avid Media Composer
If you are into short film making for YouTube or other platforms, Avid Media Composer is the application you must get. Though it has a steep learning curve and outdated UI, the advanced tools it comes with makes it one of the most demanding video editing software among Hollywood movie video editing professionals. It comes with robust features such as Advanced color correction, built-in metadata and effect tools, HDR support, Multicam editing, FrameFlex, keyboard mapping, background rendering, real-time editing, a very high degree of stability, and much more.
FilmoraPro is a highly advanced yet easy-to-use video editing application from the reputed WonderShare. It makes professional video editing easy with some quality features. You get customizable animations and graphics to include in your video. It also comes included with high-quality presets to make your work easier.