As a responsible computer user, you should be keeping your drivers up to date. Drivers are the pieces of software that allow your hardware to communicate with your operating system. If they are not up to date, you may experience problems such as poor performance or even system crashes.
In this blog post, we will discuss which drivers you need to update and how to go about doing it.
When to check for Driver Updates on Windows?
Now that we have looked at the importance of updating Windows drivers, you might be wondering when is the best time to check for updates.
Ideally, you should check for driver updates on a regular basis. This way, you can be sure that your computer always has the latest security patches and performance improvements.
That said, there are certain times when you must check for Windows drivers update at any cost:
- When facing issues with your PC: If you are experiencing problems with your PC, it is a good idea to check for driver updates.
- After adding new hardware: Similarly, if you install a new program or piece of hardware, you should check for driver updates. This way, you can be sure that everything will work smoothly.
- When upgrading your operating system: Whenever you upgrade to a new version of Windows, you should also update your drivers. This is especially important if you are planning to switch from an older version (like Windows XP) to a newer one (like Windows 10 or 11)
- When you purchase a new device: Finally if you have just bought a new device, it is a good idea to check for driver updates. This way, you can be sure that you are using the most recent drivers.
Why is it essential to Update Drivers?
Drivers are essentially small pieces of software that allow your computer to communicate with specific hardware devices.
Without drivers, the hardware you have connected to your computer would not be able to function properly. This is why it is important to keep your drivers up-to-date. Here are a few more advantages of updating the drivers:
- Updating drivers can also sometimes improve performance or fix issues with compatibility. Newer driver versions are often created with optimization in mind. So, by updating your drivers, you can potentially see a significant boost in speed and stability.
- Newer drivers can also sometimes provide better support for newer technologies. For example, if you have a new graphics card, you will need to install the latest driver in order for it to work properly.
- Additionally, updates usually fix any existing bugs or glitches. So, if you have been having issues with your PC, updating drivers could help resolve them.
- In some cases, you might also need to update drivers to be able to use certain features or programs. For example, if you want to play the latest games, you will need to have updated graphics drivers.
- Similarly, new versions of software or operating systems might require updates to certain drivers. So, if you want to be able to use all the features of your computer, you should keep your drivers up to date.
- Finally, another important reason to update drivers is security. Just like any other software, drivers can be vulnerable to security threats. By keeping them up to date, you can help protect your computer from potential attacks.
What Drivers do you need to Update?
Now that we have looked at the importance of updating drivers, you might be wondering which drivers you need to update.
The answer to this question depends on your computer and what hardware it has. However, there are a few general rules that you can follow:
If you are facing issues with your computer, it is a good idea to update the following main drivers:
- Display Drivers: These drivers control your display and allow you to change the resolution, refresh rate, and other settings.
- Graphics Drivers: These drivers control your graphics card and are responsible for rendering images on your screen.
- Audio Drivers: These drivers allow you to hear sound on your computer.
- Network Drivers: These drivers allow you to connect to the internet and can improve your internet speed.
- Storage Drivers: These drivers control your hard drive and allow you to transfer data to and from it.
- The Device Driver: This is the driver for the specific piece of hardware that you have just installed. For example, if you added a gaming controller, you need to update or install its driver for proper functioning.
- The Chipset Driver: This is a driver for the chipset on your motherboard. This driver is usually provided by the manufacturer of your motherboard.
- BIOS Updates: Your BIOS (Basic Input/Output System) controls the basic functions of your computer. You should update this if you are having issues with hardware or want to enable new features.
How to check for Outdated Drivers?
Now that you know which drivers you need to update, the next question is how to check if they are outdated.
There are a few different ways to do this. One way is to check the website of the manufacturer of your computer or hardware. They should have a list of all the drivers for your specific model and what version they are.
Another way to check is to use a driver update tool. This is a program that will scan your computer and tell you which drivers are outdated.
Once you know which drivers need to be updated, the next question is how to update them. We will discuss how to do that in the next section.
What are the best ways to Update Windows Drivers?
Now that we have looked at the importance of updating drivers and how to do it safely, you might be wondering what are the best ways to update Windows drivers.
In general, there are three different ways to update drivers:
Manually Update Windows Drivers
The first and most common way to update drivers is to do it manually. This means that you will have to download and install the updates yourself.
The advantage of this method is that you can choose which drivers to update and when to do it. However, it can be time-consuming and requires some technical knowledge.
You can manually update drivers by Windows Device Manager or by directly downloading the required drivers from the manufacturer’s website.
Automatically using Update Programs
The second way to update drivers is to do it automatically. This means that you will use a program that will scan your computer for outdated drivers and then install the updates for you.
The advantage of this method is that it is much faster and easier than doing it manually. However, you will need to pay for the program and there is always a risk that it might not work properly.
Using Windows Update
The third way to update drivers is to use Windows Update. This is a built-in feature of Windows that allows you to install the latest updates for your operating system and drivers.
The advantage of this method is that it is free and easy to use. However, it might not always find the latest drivers for your devices.
Updating drivers is an important task that can help improve the stability and speed of your computer. It can also fix existing bugs and glitches, enable new features, and improve security. In order to update drivers, you first need to know which ones need to be updated. You can do this by checking the website of the manufacturer or using a driver update tool. Once you know which drivers need to be updated, you can update them manually or use a driver update tool.
Do you have any questions about updating drivers? Let us know in the comments below!
You can check the website of the manufacturer or use a driver update tool. Once you know which drivers need to be updated, you can update them manually or use a driver update tool.
Yes, it is safe to update drivers, if you do it from the official sources. Updating drivers can help improve the stability and speed of your computer.