It is no secret that outdated drivers can cause all sorts of issues with your computer, from decreased performance to system-wide crashes. But what you may not know is that outdated drivers can also lead to blue screens – one of the most dreaded error messages in the world of computing.
In this article, we’ll discuss why it’s so important to keep your drivers up to date, and we’ll give you some tips on how to do it. We will also take a closer look at what blue screens are, and how you can prevent them from happening on your computer.
Why is it essential to Update Drivers?
Drivers are essentially small pieces of software that allow your computer to communicate with specific hardware devices.
Without drivers, the hardware you have connected to your computer would not be able to function properly. This is why it is important to keep your drivers up-to-date. Here are a few more advantages of updating the drivers:
- Updating drivers can also sometimes improve performance or fix issues with compatibility. Newer driver versions are often created with optimization in mind. So, by updating your drivers, you can potentially see a significant boost in speed and stability.
- Newer drivers can also sometimes provide better support for newer technologies. For example, if you have a new graphics card, you will need to install the latest driver in order for it to work properly.
- Additionally, updates usually fix any existing bugs or glitches. So, if you have been having issues with your PC, updating drivers could help resolve them.
- In some cases, you might also need to update drivers to be able to use certain features or programs. For example, if you want to play the latest games, you will need to have updated graphics drivers.
- Similarly, new versions of software or operating systems might require updates to certain drivers. So, if you want to be able to use all the features of your computer, you should keep your drivers up to date.
- Finally, another important reason to update drivers is security. Just like any other software, drivers can be vulnerable to security threats. By keeping them up to date, you can help protect your computer from potential attacks.
What are the dangers of Outdated Drivers?
Blue Screen of Death
One of the most common issues caused by outdated drivers is blue screens. A blue screen, also known as a blue screen of death (BSOD), is an error message that appears on your screen when Windows encounters a serious problem.
The problem can be caused by hardware or software, but it is usually driver-related. This is because drivers are responsible for communicating between your computer and the hardware devices. If there is an issue with the driver, it can cause Windows to crash.
System Slowdown and Freezing
Another common issue caused by outdated drivers is poor performance. If your drivers are out of date, it can lead to your computer running slowly or even freezing. This is because the drivers are not able to communicate properly with the hardware devices. As a result, your computer has to work harder, which can lead to decreased performance.
Outdated drivers can also cause incompatibility issues. This means that certain hardware or software might not work properly with your computer. For example, you might not be able to use certain features of a program or you might have difficulty connecting to a printer.
Outdated drivers can also cause devices to malfunction. If the driver is not able to communicate properly with the device, it can lead to the device not working correctly. This can be extremely frustrating, especially if the device is essential for using your computer.
Outdated graphic drivers can also cause games to crash or produce errors. This is because the drivers are not able to communicate properly with the graphics card. As a result, the game might not be able to run properly.
Finally, outdated drivers can also pose a security threat. This is because they can be vulnerable to malware or other attacks. By keeping your drivers up to date, you can help protect your computer from potential threats.
How Outdated Drivers can cause Crash and BSOD?
As we have seen, outdated drivers can cause a number of problems. But how do they actually cause crashes and blue screens?
One of the most common ways is by causing incompatibility issues. If a driver is not compatible with your computer, it can lead to instability and crashing. Additionally, if a driver is not compatible with other drivers on your computer, it can also cause crashes.
Another common way that outdated drivers can cause crashes is by causing devices to malfunction. If a driver is not able to communicate properly with a device, it can lead to the device not working correctly. This can ultimately cause your computer to crash.
How to Find Out Which Driver Cause Windows to Crash?
To find out which driver is causing Windows to crash, you can use the Event Viewer.
- To do this, go to the Windows search box and type Event Viewer, and click on its icon to launch.
- In the Event Viewer, expand Windows Logs and click on System.
- Now, look for any error messages that mention a specific driver. These error messages will usually contain the name of the driver that is causing the problem.
If you find an error message that mentions a driver, you can try updating the driver or uninstalling it. If you are unable to update or uninstall the driver, you may need to contact the manufacturer for further assistance.
How to fix BSOD caused by an Outdated Driver?
If you are seeing the blue screen error because of an outdated driver, you can try updating the driver.
In general, there are three different ways to update drivers:
Manually Update Windows Drivers
The first and most common way to update drivers is to do it manually. This means that you will have to download and install the updates yourself.
The advantage of this method is that you can choose which drivers to update and when to do it. However, it can be time-consuming and requires some technical knowledge.
You can manually update drivers by Windows Device Manager or by directly downloading the required drivers from the manufacturer’s website.
Automatically using Update Programs
The second way to update drivers is to do it automatically. This means that you will use a program that will scan your computer for outdated drivers and then install the updates for you.
The advantage of this method is that it is much faster and easier than doing it manually. However, you will need to pay for the program and there is always a risk that it might not work properly.
Using Windows Update
The third way to update drivers is to use Windows Update. This is a built-in feature of Windows that allows you to install the latest updates for your operating system and drivers.
The advantage of this method is that it is free and easy to use. However, it might not always find the latest drivers for your devices.
How do avoid PC errors caused by Outdated Drivers?
One of the best ways to avoid PC errors caused by outdated drivers is to keep them regularly updated with the latest version. If you don’t want the hassle of checking the updates manually, use a driver update tool.
Driver update tools are designed to scan your computer for outdated drivers and then update them automatically. This can help to save you time and ensure that your drivers are always up to date.
Additionally, driver update tools can also help to fix other driver-related issues, such as missing or corrupt drivers.
Here are a few best driver updater programs:
Driver Booster is the best updater software on our list. It is designed to automatically detect the missing or outdated drivers from the Windows system. With 3 Million+ drivers on its database, you are assured to find the rarest driver and fix any compatibility issue.
Driver Booster 7 PRO is safe and designed to detect outdated, missing, and faulty drivers and update them all in a single click.
Once you get the PRO version using the Driver Booster key, it unlocks the following features:
- Fast Scanning and downloading: Within a few seconds, it can scan the entire PC for the missing, broken, or outdated drivers and start downloading/installing them.
- One-Click Update: Can update all the drivers in a single click.
- Enhance the Performance: It can highly magnify the performance of the system, by finding out the broken drivers and repairing them.
- Backup & Restore: It lets you back up all the system drivers and restore them after you format the PC.
Avast Driver Updater
Avast Driver Updater scans your PC for outdated drivers and replaces them with the latest version available in its database. It servers around whooping 5 million drivers. That means there is a good chance it has all the essential drivers for your PC. Moreover, it creates a backup of the existing drivers in case things go south. It comes with a trial period of 15 days on the first installation.
As we have seen, outdated drivers can cause a number of problems. From game crashes to blue screen errors, it is important to keep your drivers up to date.
There are a number of ways you can update your drivers, such as using the manufacturer’s website or using a driver update tool. By keeping your drivers up to date, you can help to avoid PC errors and keep your computer running smoothly.
Outdated drivers can cause a number of problems, such as game crashes, blue screen errors, and devices malfunctioning.
You can use the Event Viewer in Windows to find out which driver is causing Windows to crash.
You can try updating the driver or uninstalling it. If you are unable to update or uninstall the driver, you may need to contact the manufacturer for further assistance.
One of the best ways to avoid PC errors caused by outdated drivers is to keep them regularly updated with the latest version. You can use the manufacturer’s website or a driver update tool to do this. Additionally, driver update tools can also help to fix other driver-related issues.